Sunday, May 09, 2010

Donut Day


While I don't like to make a huge deal of Mother's Day, my boys did get me some lovely gifts this year. The first is the book on the left, with a foreword by my favorite foodies Jan and Michael Stern. They authored my first vintage cookbook, Square Meals:  Square Meals : America's Favorite Comfort Cookbook. This has the history of donuts from the granddaughter of the donut-machine inventor.

I also got a baked donut pan, which I really wanted:  Norpro 6-Count Nonstick Donut Pan I can make donuts with a lot less fat! Yeah!

Here's a recipe included with the pan for Cake Donuts:
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
Preheat oven to 325F. Spray Donut pan with cooking oil.  In bowl mix together flour, sutar, baking powder, salt.  Add butter, eggs, milk, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon.  Beat until well blended.  Fill each Donut hole 2/3 full.  Bake 8 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.  Cool. Remove from pan and dip into glaze.  Decorate with sprinkles, nuts, shaved chocolate or coconut.  Yields 36 mini donuts.

Why am I not that keen on Mother's Day? While my husband and I were going through infertility, that day was excruciating. We avoided church with its happy little families, yet we had to attend family functions in a long day celebrating something we desperately wanted to be a part of. We honored our mothers of course, but it was a tough day. While I appreciate my status now as mother of two, Kyle and I were changed by that period in our lives. Today we are hosting a party for both boys' birthdays. Tiki pinata and all. Hopefully I'll have time to bake some donuts this week!

Josh woke me up at 6 this morning with the book he made for me at school. I love homemade gifts best. Enjoy your Sunday, whatever you are doing!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

According to the new issue of Better HOmes and Gardens, donuts are the "hot" trend in desserts this summer.