Monday, May 10, 2010

Teen-Time Cooking with Carnation


I found this 1959 gem recently and picked it up immediately as I have the same apron as this girl. Mine was made my my lovely friend Helen, but not Ken dolls help me put it on, thankfully. This is filled with hilarious cooking and prep tips. I may spend the entire week on it, though I do have some really good Pelical Press books to review here and a fudge recipe from a friend that needs sharing.  Also, Molly MacRae and I are negotiating a Prune Off for the summer. More on that to come!

"Picnic time here?  Perhaps you're not the champion on the diving board or the golf course...but no one ever went wrong with a few specialties like these in the picnic hamper!"

Ah. It's not like she should be good at school or anything like that, either. Certainly you can't be good at more than one thing.

Hamburger on a Stick
2/3 cup undiluted carnation evaporated milk
1 egg
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 cup fine cracker crumbs
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
24 small tomatoes or tomato slices
12 onion slices
Mix all ingredients except tomatoes and onion slices together.  Form meat mixture into 12 meat balls.  Thread each of 12 skewers with tomato, meat ball, onion slice and second tomato.  Broil each Hamburger On A Stick about 5 minutes on each side.

But why on a stick? I actually like trying weird foods on a stick - I've had waffle on a stick even. This just sounds weird, though. If it's a skewer BBQ type dish, that's one thing, but I'm picturing a big burger on a stick. And so would any teens you mention this to, I think.

Our party went well yesterday. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, including the two birthday boys.

Have a good week!

No comments: