Sunday, August 08, 2010

Kyle, Josh and Owen's Sunday Sampler: Zucchini Bread


Last night I had an asthma attack and likely added to the ozone hole with all the inhalers I had to use. Thankfully no ER this time(I could link to several posts from last year, but really who would want to read that again...), but I was pretty wiped out today. So Kyle entertained the boys by having them bake Zucchini Bread with a great big one someone at work gave him. Do I have the best men in the world or what? I spent the day finishing Cleo Coyle's Roast Mortem that I mentioned last week - really great (full of surprises) all the way through, and lots of yummy recipes to finish it out.

The men used a recipe from that same church cookbook I've been working with lately, from Wood Dale, IL Community Church. I must have bought this from a coworker when I lived in Wood Dale right after we were married. It is delicious. More shallow pans require less baking time than the loaf pan.

Zucchini Loaf Bread
3 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 c. oil
3 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 c. grated zucchini
1 c. nutmeats (they skipped that)
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. soda (baking)
1 tsp. baking powder
Beat eggs well with sugar and oil.  Combine flour, salt, soda, cinnamon and baking powder.  Add to first mixture, beat well.  Add zucchini, nuts and vanilla.  Put into 3 (1 pound) bread pans or one large pan (anyone have a 3 pound baking pan...). Bake at 350 for one hour.

Our square pan only took 40 minutes. Kyle also used the food processor on the zucchini. Both boys helped pour and stir, so I'm sure it wasn't exact. Owen kept coming over to me and saying things I couldn't understand in excited 2-year old speak, though I made out the word Flour here and there. Josh is getting really great at cracking the eggs. I'm of course really great at eating.

2 comments:

Janean said...

Amy,
I hope you feel better soon! I have asthma too and had an attack a couple weeks ago so I know how you feel. Mine was from this crazy heat here in NC and like you I was lucky no hospital. I have a few nebulizers so I can take a breathing treatment at home and even have a portable to take with me when I might need it. The zucchini bread looks great and yummy! Hope you feel better real soon and Happy Reading, Janean

Kathleen Ernst said...

Your men do OK in the kitchen! These look wonderful. Hope you're feeling better.