Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Frosty Log Treats


It took me a couple days to recover from Molly's mushroom chocolate cooky recipe. Yikes. She's finding worse recipes than those in my collection, and that's saying a lot!

I pulled out this 70's treasure from my pamphlet bookcase today. Yep - I have a bookcase entirely devoted to pamphlet cookbooks, and some recipe boxes. There are many gems in this one, but I was curious about this one.

Frosty Log Treats:  "A skip-the-oven sweet snack - one that the children can help you make"
4 eggs, well-beaten
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup Land O Lakes Sweet Cream Butter
1 cup chopped pitted dates (at least it's not prunes)
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 cups crisp rice cereal
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/4 cup flaked coconut
Combine eggs and sugar in West Bend Electric 5-Quart Country Kettle or West Bend Electric Buffet Skillet. (not that they care what brand you use or anything...) Add butter.  Set heat control at 225 degrees.  Cook, stirring constantly, until butter melts.  Stir in dates.
Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture leaves side of pan.  Add vanilla.
Immediately pour hot mixture over rice cereal and walnuts in large mixing bowl.  Mix well; divide into 4 equal parts.  Shape into 4 rolls, about 8 inches long.  Roll in coconut.  Wrap in foil.  Store in refrigerator.  Cut into slices for serving.  Makes about 4 dozen slices.

Sounds kind of like scrambled eggs with sugar and butter, thickened with cereal and walnuts. Oh boy. Who wants to try this one? I don't think I'll make this one for my son's curriculum night next week...

No comments: