Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Crispy Sweet Pickles

A lovely woman wrote this family favorite down for me at my Fox River Grove Memorial Library show last week on Preserving Family Recipes.  Her mother in law, Mary Taylor Martin, from San Antonio, TX, made this easy and fun recipe for popular Christmas gifts. I've always been afraid of canning before, but this sounds easy and fun!

Crispy Sweet Pickles
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup mixed pickling spices wrapped in cheesecloth and tied with string
1 quart sliced dill pickles - round sliced (Drain off liquid and discard)
3 cups sugar
Place vinegar and spices in a glass container that can be sealed.  Place pickles in glass container.  Pour sugar on top of pickles - but DO NOT MIX. Cover with lid.  Refrigerate for 10 days - yield 1 quart. 
For a second batch you may use the same liquid with spices adding 1 cup sugar only.

I actually love pickles. Any other quick canning techniques out there?

1 comment:

Janice said...

oh my these are my absolute favourites. I have recipe somewhere for a nice cucumber pickle.