Thursday, October 14, 2010

Maple Nut Dessert

This is also from the Mirro Cookbook I used yesterday. This is the same company that makes the cookie presses you most often see in antique stores. I have one in its original box, but I enjoy using it every year for the holidays.

I consider Maple a favorite fall flavor. I serve Maple Bun Bars in my Fall Cookbook talks, and they are a popular item! I like them so much now I need to store them in a very inconvenient corner of the house so I'm not eating them constantly!

Try this recipe:
Maple Nut Dessert
1 1/2 cups hot milk
2 eggs, separated and beaten
1 tablespoon gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
1 cup maple syrup
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup nuts, chopped
Place hot milk and slightly beaten egg yolks in a Mirro Aluminum double boiler.  Cook over boiling water until the mixture coats a silver spoon (No doubt we all have lots of these handy, even if we weren't born with them haha). Stir constantly.  Sprinkle gelatin on cold water and let stand 5 minutes. Add to hot mixture and stir until dissolved.  Add the maple syrup and salt.  Cool in refrigerator, and when the mixture begins to congeal (yum), fold in stiffly beaten egg whites, vanilla and nuts.  Pour into serving glasses and chill.  Serve with custard sauce.  Brown sugar syrup may be used instead of maple syrup, adding a few drops of mapeleine if desired.  Serves 6-8.

What is Mapeleine? Has to be flavoring. Wonder where you can find that stuff now...

I am no good at these types of fudgey/meringuey recipes. See all of 2008 for evidence of that on here.

I had so much fun doing a scrapbook cookbook show at the Fremont Public Library District last night. That crowd is always great with lots of good stories and ideas.

2 comments:

Janean said...

Sounds yummy! Maple buns sounds like a candy we used to get in Indiana but can't find here in NC and my mom loves them. Maple clusters, we used to get them a Fall and Christmas time in Indiana in the bulk candy. They are a chocolote on top and in the middle is a maple cream and peanuts. You wouldn't happen to have a recipe for them would you? I would love to be able to make some for my mom for Christmas this year! Thanks, Janean

Kathleen Ernst said...

This one looks yummy! Looking forward to visiting tomorrow, and continuing the maple theme.