Thursday, November 18, 2010

Vegetable Souffle Salad

I've had to take a break from blogging this week. On Monday I spent the day in the ER with my Mother, who had symptoms of a stroke. They kept her for 36+ hours, and she went home late Tuesday. Dad was fine at his Assisted Living, and my brother and sister and I all took turns trying to help them. They are both doing fine now. Which is good - as I have 4 shows in the next 6 days and my nieces/nephew will be staying with us. We are also hosting Thanksgiving for 27 next week.  Tonight I am off to the Thomas Ford Memorial Library in Western Springs. I so enjoyed going there last year. This year I'm doing the holiday scrap-cookbooking and I'm looking forward to it. I'm off to work first.

The highlight of my week was attending the retirement party of the best young adult librarian I know, Rose Allen. Owen and I went to a lovely party yesterday packed with people honoring someone who is beautiful inside and out. I am glad we will be hiring her to do some programs at my library in the future...On a funny note I was impressed that all her colleagues at her library waited until after the speeches to hit the fabulous buffet table. That would never have happened at my library. The food would have been gone before the speeches began. I can say that as I am included in that type of behavior...

Last night was our Teen Thanksgiving meeting too. We served popcorn, pretzels and jelly beans - with pizza. We watched Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving then did our business. Very fun.

Here's the recipe that was typed on the back of the Pink Surprise Salad. Even the name of this one is suspect.

Dissolve 1 pkg. lime jello in 1 C. hot water.  Add 1/2 C. cold water, 4 tspl vinegar, 1/2 C. salad dressing.  Blend with rotary beater, pour in ref. tray. Chill, put in bowl and whip until fluffy. 
Fold in 1 C. shredded carrots, 1 C. cabbage, 1 T. fine onion.  Pour into ring mold.

Um - what salad dressing? And what is a 'ref. tray?'  Anyone want to puzzle this one out? (or try to eat it?)

1 comment:

Amy said...

I've met a lovely woman named Pam at a few shows now, including Western Springs this week. She wrote me with some good info about the mysteries of this recipe and the Pink Surprise Salad:

You questioned “salad dressing” in two places: vegetable soufflĂ© salad and pink surprise salad. My opinion is that this means things like Hellman’s mayonnaise or Miracle Whip. I think their labels still say “salad dressing” somewhere on them. Probably in small print. When I was a child, my mom used to put that stuff on top of our tossed salads. I think the modern salad dressings (all the different flavors, spices and consistencies – creamy, vinaigrette) were either not popular back then or were not as plentiful or maybe not even available?

And you asked “what is a ref. tray?” Here I go with my opinion again. I think it’s a refrigerator tray. Like those refrigerator boxes (those glass box-shaped containers with glass lids) only perhaps some sort of glass tray? Perhaps back then, “tray” was the same as “box”. I have some of those glass refrigerator boxes; I’m sure you do too.