Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Groundhog Day?

If any groundhog has gone outside here in Chicagoland, it has likely expired. The snow is up to my mailbox and reaching the top of the cars on the driveway - and it's still coming down hard. Forget shadows today - anyone would be lucky to see the actual ground.

But I did say on Wednesdays I'd give hints on what to do with that box of clippings and recipes you likely have. I do workshops on Preserving Family Recipes and someone always brings in a bundle. We all love to see those. I actually collect (Is anyone really surprised at this?) collections of recipes in boxes. I love to figure out things about the people. I recently went through my thousands of clippings too and discovered that I collect many apple dessert recipes. Why? Because I love them and have had success with them before. What does your collection say about you?

Here's a scan from one of my recipe collections. This one was just banded together. I believe I got it from ebay.  I've also typed in what it says:

Maybe you would like to surprise Lilli with vegetable soup for lunch that is quick and easy. I like it especially this time of year.
Here goes:
Saute 2/3 cup of carrots, 2/3 cup of celery and half a medium onion sliced-in small amount of olive oil. (5 minutes)  Add two cans of Swanson's Chicken Broth and 1/2 can tomato sauce (4 oz.) Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes covered.  That is it. You can add other vegetables, garlic or other seasonings.  Also noodles or rice.

I love this. Who is Lilli? Why should this person surprise her? I love the comments like 'That is it.'

What's lurking in your recipe files? If you have an old handwritten one from a family member or even typed like this - scan it in, stains and all, then type what is on it. You can print out both and put them on a recipe album page. I use 3-ring binders in my workshops. Get some inexpensive page protectors, slide you page in - good to go.

I hope you are all safe and warm today!

Do you have a Kindle? You can now subscribe to Vintage Cookbooks and Crafts.

No comments: