Tuesday, February 01, 2011

New Features and Pineapple Beets

January was so much fun! Molly and I had a blast lining up guests, putting up their posts and celebrating her book Lawn Order with the month long celebration. I'm leaving the schedule up for a bit so you can enjoy going back to read the guest posts. For those of you who told me they enjoyed the 'normal' recipes in January - the party's over. It's back to my Vintage Cookbook culinary delights. I do have some news here though. By request from folks at my shows, I'm incorporating some new elements. You can still depend on 3-5 vintage recipes a week and some will be edible - maybe. On Wednesdays now though I'll do a post on Preserving Family Recipes. That means handwritten recipes or ideas on how to organize that box of recipes and clippings we all have. On Fridays, I'll post something about a vintage craft or household decor tip. We'll still have Molly MacRae at least once a month, plus other fun guests from time to time. If you have ideas for topics or posts you are welcome to write me at amyalessio@sbcglobal.net.  Oh - that profile picture is courtesy of Rosemary Harris - she gave me that lovely Befana Scaccia when I saw her at Midwinter. I think of it as my good luck Kitchen Witch.


Today's Vintage Cookbook is Buffet Party Recipes by Thora Hegstad Campbell, c1964. Buffets and Smorgasbords were an entire genre of eating and home entertaining in past decades. The author lived according to the full page bio in back in the Chicago suburbs, and this copy is autographed. It was in my library's booksale. The bio also lists her credentials and publications, along with "she also takes an active part in the civic and church affairs of her community, where she is much in demand for her culinary skills." Good to know. I doubt lots are asking for this recipe, though:

Pineapple Beets (Come on, you've had normal recipes for a month...)
"This is a colorful vegetable served in a chafing dish." (Notice no one says delicious.)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar
1 stick (3 ins) cinnamon
1 can (13 1/2 oz.) pineapple chunks, drained
1 can or jar (1 lb) cut beets, drained (That's a lot of beets!)

In saucepan, mix cornstarch, brown sugar, ginger, cloves, salt, and lemon juice.  Add cinnamon and undrained pineapple.  Cook and stir until thickened.  Remove cinnamon.  Add drained beets; stir gently and heat.  Serve hot. Yields 6 servings.

Yummy!

1 comment:

statii radio said...

So what no one says “delicious”? I’ll say it. It sounds delicious. Thank you for sharing.