Monday, February 07, 2011

Molly MacRae Monday: One More Flaming Thing

Can you stand one more flaming recipe? We just came through a whole month of fire and spice, great recipes for warming up those frigid, snowbound days of January. But I’ve stumbled across another fiery recipe – something I’ve never seen before – a flaming green salad. This is from A Taste of Class, a cook booklet given away by Landmark Real Estate in 1981. I wish there were a picture of the salad to share. I wish I had the half cups of bacon grease and brandy sitting around in my kitchen that the recipe calls for so I could make the salad and take a picture for you myself. Half a cup of bacon grease in a green salad? And you set it on fire? Wow. If anyone out there tries this, please let me know how it works out for you. And maybe let your cardiologist know, too.


Spinach Salad Flambé

1 lb. fresh spinach

3-4 hard boiled eggs

½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese

½ tsp black pepper, coarsely ground

6 strips bacon, fried crisp and broken up

½ cup strained bacon drippings (calling it strained drippings doesn’t change the fact we’re talking about half a cup of grease, here)

¼ cup tarragon vinegar

2 T. lemon juice

1 T. sugar

¼ tsp Worcestershire sauce

½ cup brandy or cognac

Into a large bowl, tear spinach. Add sliced eggs, cheese, salt and pepper. Add bacon just before serving. Heat drippings, vinegar, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce in a small saucepan. Warm brandy in a ladle, ignite, and pour into dressing gently. When flaming is done, add to salad and toss well. Dressing should be warm enough to wilt spinach slightly.

I’m quite overwhelmed by Amy’s generosity in dedicating the month of January to flaming and spicy foods to help launch Lawn Order. Thank you, Amy, and thank you to the wonderful authors and friends who contributed their time and favorite recipes. I had a flaming good time and hope you all did, too.
-Molly MacRae

No comments: