Sunday, May 08, 2011

Chocolate Coated Party Cakes for Mother's Day

 I mention often at my talks that my 100% Irish Mother's favorite St. Pat's treat is the green Hostess Snoball. So when I saw this "Mother's Day Party Cake" recipe from the 1979 Duncan Hines Bake Shop in a Book I thought of her, as these are kind of like that famous treat. Don't these look delicious? Below I've included a photo of my Mom, Dad, brother and nephew along with my Joshua and my Owen from yesterday's Mass for Joshua's 1st Communion. It was very moving and a wonderful memory forever. Owen insisted on wearing a suit like Joshua and Daddy so we had to roll up the sleeves on one his cousin Ben gave us a while back. Today we will have a big celebration at the house for the boys' birthdays and the 1st communion. I wish I had time to make these!
Chocolate-Coated Party Cakes
1 package Duncan Hines Deluxe II Devil's Food Cake Mix
1 container (8 oz.) thawed frozen whipped dessert topping
Chocolate Glaze:  4 squares (4 oz.) semisweet chocolate, 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
Mix and bake cupcakes in paper-lined muffin cups as directed on package.  Cool and remove cakes from paper liners.  Cut a thin slice from bottom of each cake and carefully hollow out the cake.  Fill with 2 teaspoons whipped topping and replace cake slice.

For Chocolate Glaze, partially melt semisweet chocolate and butter over simmering water.  Remove from water and stir until chocolate is completely melted.  Cool slightly before using.  Spoon glaze over tops of cakes and allow glaze to set slightly before decorating.


No comments: