Saturday, May 21, 2011

Crepes and an Interesting Table Decoration


I have a few more interesting selections from the Family Circle Brunches and Lunches book to share then I want to post some great things a librarian who was at one of my shows sent me. She had gems from her family cookbooks to share. But this is a Tablesetting tip I couldn't resist posting.  It says  "Make your table come alive with this asparagus and flowers centerpiece." I don't understand how they are attached together, or why anyone would want to do this! But included in this section of the book is a post on Basic Crepes. My older son and I have had good luck making crepes and readers here know I don't have a whole lot of luck trying new recipes...
Basic Crepes
"Fill with any type ingredients for a brunch or lunch treat." (Really? Any type? So I could make a smores style one with marshmallows and chocolate?)
3 eggs
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1. Beat eggs just until blended in a large bowl with a wire ship (not sure what that is); add flour and salt and beat just until smooth; stir in milk and 1 tablespoon of the melted butter or margarine.  Chill at least 2 hours, or overnight.
2. Heat an 8-inch heavy skillet, crepe pan or electric crepe maker (I want one of these.), following manufacturer's directions.  Test temperature by sprinkling on a few drops of water.  When drops bounce about, temperature is right.  Grease pan lightly with part of remaining butter or margarine.
3. Measure batter, a scant 1/4 cup at a time, into pan, tilting pan to cover bottom completely.  (Or follow manufacturer's directions for electric crepe maker.)
4. Cook 1 to to minutes, or until top is set and underside is golden; turn. Cook 1 to 2 minutes longer, or until bottom browns.  Repeat with remaining batter, greasing skillet after making each crepe.

No comments: