Monday, June 06, 2011

Molly MacRae Monday: We All Scream for Ice Cream!

It's the first Monday of June, and that means popular author Molly MacRae is back with humor and an -er - interesting recipe...-AA

We All Scream for Ice Cream!

One of my favorite poems, when I was a kid, went something like this:

I scream,
You scream,
We all scream for ice cream,
Rah, rah, rah!
A boola, a boola, a sasparoola,
You take chocolate and I’ll take vanoola,
Rah, rah, rah!

Recite that and you just want a bowl of ice cream. Vanoola with chocolate sauce. Mmmm. Recite it often enough and you end up eating a lot of ice cream. My brothers and I did. Lots of ice cream.

Sadly, now that I’m older and more health conscious, I look for ways to discourage over consumption of cholesterol, fat, and sugar-laden treats. It’s a hard slog. But recently I ran across the perfect recipe. It might even discourage ice cream consumption completely. It involves ketchup and ice cream and, frankly, it makes me want to scream.

Here it is, from the 1957 H.J. Heinz Co. $25,000 “Cook with Ketchup Contest” 57 Prize-Winning Recipes booklet, Recipe #43: Pink Peach Sundae.

¾ cup peach preserves
¼ cup Heinz Tomato Ketchup
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¼ teaspoon allspice

Combine ingredients in saucepan; simmer, stirring, 5 minutes. Serve warm or cold over vanilla ice cream. Makes about ¾ cup sauce.

2 comments:

Patti T. said...

I don't think I am brave enough to put ketchup on ice cream.

Molly said...

Neither am I, Patti. Ugh. I suppose we could be wrong, but, nah. Ugh.