Monday, July 24, 2006

Peanut Bar Bonanza

I was more in the mood for baking today than making the Sausage Wheel, though I may do it for dinner. This book is from 1967, and features "Shortcutted prize winning favorites from 18 years of Bake Offs". I chose Peanut Brittle Cookies on page 20 of the book partially for the fabulous picture alongside a vintage soda fountain glass. I also collect those, and have more banana split and malt glasses than most well stocked ice cream shops. I keep finding more in various cabinets that I've forgotten about. So that more than anything else drew me to this recipe, plus the fact that my Dad loves peanut butter flavored anything and he came over today.

Here's the recipe:
1 cup Pillsbury's Best All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon soda
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped salted peanuts (I didn't chop mine, it was still ok)

Oven 325 degrees for 24 bars

In large mixer bowl combine all ingredients except peanuts. Blend well. Stir in 1/2 cup peanuts. Spread in greased 13x9-inch pan. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup peanuts, pressing lightly into dough.
Bake at 325 for 20 - 25 minutes. Cut into bars. Cool.

This is a nice recipe for a 3 -year-old to help with, too! Josh stirred, and pressed batter and peanuts into the pan.
And here's my version, along with some of my glasses:






I had multiple deadlines this weekend so I didn't get to much reading, though I did zip through the Evanovich/Hughes Full Scoop (fitting, eh?). This series is fun light reading, and this title in particular was an enjoyable read.

No comments: