Friday, January 12, 2007

Chocolate Squareffle


I thought it was a good night to try a souffle. Now, of course I don't have a pan, but this was the right amount - so I tried it.

I looked in about a dozen of my cookbooks (think, only about 5 percent or so) and chose this as it did not have heavy whipping cream as an ingredient.

This is from the Better Homes and Gardens 75th Anniversary Cookbook
Butter
Sugar
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
4 beaten egg yolks
4 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
Whipped cream (optional)

Now the first step was all about applying a foil 'collar' to the pan, greasing and sugaring it. It involved folding and measuring and I said forget it. So - just butter the sides of the pan, then sprinkle sugar over the entire thing.

In a saucepan melt the 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add chocolate; stir until melted. Remove from heat. Gradually stur chocolate mixture into beaten egg yolks. Set aside. (Now, my chocolate mixture was like slightly liquid fudge - there was nothing gradual about adding that stuff.)

Beat egg whites and vanilla until soft peaks form (tips curl). (Clearly I've been reading too many romances this week as this made me laugh.) Gradually add the sugar, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). (Again - this is a little much, it's not just me, right?) Fold about 1 cup of the beaten egg whites into remaining beaten whites. Transfer to prepared dish.

Bake in a 350 oven for 40 - 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve immediately. To serve, insert two forks back to back; gently pull souffle apart into serving-size wedges. (What? I tried this, then got out a spoon.) If desired, top with whipped cream. (I don't have any.)

It was actually ok - a little wet on the inside but quite light and tasty. Is that it? I was expecting some big deal dessert. Give me chocolate mousse any day. In fact, maybe I will make that tomorrow, after hitting the grocery store.

This is the cover for Recipes for Entertaining, Better Homes and Gardens, 1972. Frankly, the front cover was too orange and avocado to scan. The caption here for the top is: An organized hostess who is prepared when guests arrive.

The bottom one: The unorganized hostess who should have done some planning.

OK -the top one clearly did not have enough time to really look at her outfit. And I'm surprised that lamp scanned.

And what's with the cat for the bottom one? She's tearing up too in case you can't see it. I'd tear up too if I had an all green kitchen, including the stove.

How about "an organized hostess knows a good caterer..."

No comments: