Sunday, February 11, 2007

Valentine's Day Fun


I'm sure you've all figured out by now that I go a bit crazy for holidays. I have invited my son's little friend and her Mom and cousin over tomorrow, along with my parents and a co-worker for a Valentine's lunch. I changed up a recipe to make Cookie Cake Bars that everyone will decorate. I also bought microwave candy kits, valentine craft supplies, and red Jello. We'll also have pizza. It doesn't get better than this.
Oh yes, I do actually get my husband something for the holiday too - he doesn't get forgotten though he is at work for this party.
I pulled this from a staff fundraiser cookie book from the library.
Ingredients:
Any box cake mix (I used Red Velvet. I absolutely love Red Velvet and cannot make it from scratch well. I usually get like 6 boxes of this around Valentine's Day.) I have made this with many different types of mixes. This is the best so far.
1/2 cup butter (I melted it)
1/4 cup brown sugar (I was unsure whether or not to pack it down, and just put a bunch more in.)
1/3 cup water
2 eggs
Nuts, chips or frosting (optional) (I used white chocolate chips and may use pink frosting tomorrow when decorating.)
Mix all ingredients with a fork and pour into a sheet cake pan. (I didn't know what that was, so I used a Jelly Roll style cookie sheet. It turned out with slightly burnt edges, but mostly worked very well.) Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until top is dry. (What does that mean? Who wants a raw middle with a crisp top? Not me, but luckily this worked anyway.)
The recipe actually says "Ovens, pans, and times may vary." No one needs to tell me that. Anyone following my instructions should know that 'results may vary.'

No comments: