Friday, December 21, 2007

Holiday Recipes



My first signing is tomorrow, at a fabulous history and mystery book store called Centuries and Sleuths in Forest Park, IL. My anthology copies arrived two nights ago and my husband suddenly wants to buy up a bunch for his poor coworkers! He is so funny, and I love him so much for this and so many other things.

I am surprisingly uncomfortable about the signing. I don't know how to be Amy the author of a short mystery for adults. If it was one of my YA stories being published I can rely on my YA knowledge and credentials and have something to talk about. With this one, I am not sure who to be!

Luckily, my character loves vintage cookbooks (big surprise). I've decided to hand out recipe cards with a favorite holiday cookie recipe or two, and my book information on the back. I'll even include my librarian book I cowrote with friend and awesome cook Kim.

I have several cookbooks devoted just to the holidays, including a Pillsbury pamphlet "Holiday Classics IV" from 1985. I saw this picture, and thought is that a cake? Well, yes, but that's not chocolate...

Frosted Liver Pate

1 lb. braunschweiger (anyone know what this is?)

1/4 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing

1/4 cup finely chopped onion

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 teaspoon basil leaves

8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened.

3 drops hot pepper sauce

1 teaspoon mayonnaise or salad dressing

Pimiento

Chopped fresh parsley

In large bowl, combine braunschweiger, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, onion, 1 garlic clove and basil leaves; beat until smooth. (is that possible?) Mound mixture on serving plate. Cover, refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

In small bowl, combine cream cheese, remaining minced garlic clove, hot pepper sauce and 1 teaspoon mayonnaise; blend well. Frost liver with cheese mixture...and I'm stopping there. I'm sure none of you were actually going to make this anyway.

I won't be including that recipe on anything I hand out.

Merry Eating and holidays to all!

1 comment:

Joe said...

According to Wikipedia: Braunschweiger (named after Braunschweig, Germany) is a type of liverwurst (pork liver sausage), which is nearly always smoked.

Braunschweiger is very rich, and has a very high amount of Vitamin A, iron and protein. For casual use in most households, it is better to buy a small amount, since braunschweiger spoils quickly. About a week after opening, the meat will change from a fresh pinkish color to a dull gray, and will then begin to turn green. If it is not consumed quickly after it first turns gray, the braunschweiger is no longer edible and should be disposed of immediately."

If any meat could be described as persnickety, it would be Braunschweiger. That being said, I have ZERO interest in trying it! :)