Saturday, January 31, 2009

Frankfurter Pizza

This is also from the Cooking for Two from the previous post, under the chapter of 'Round-Up of Treasured Recipes.' Treasured by who?

I've mentioned a fascination with frankfurters that runs close to the prunes, Hawaiian, wheels and other prevalent themes across all vintage cookbooks. I have to say this one takes perfectly good frankfurters and morphs them to the extreme.

Sift 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add 1/2 teaspoon dry garlic salad dressing mix. (um, what?) Cut in 2 tablespoons shortening. Add 1/3 cup milk. Stir just till moistened. Knead dough on lightly floured surface 10 strokes. Roll to 10-inch circle; pat in bottom of greased 9-inch pie plate, building up 1/2 inch edge.
Combine 1/3 cup pizza flavored catsup (I've never heard of this, possibly Pizza sauce?), 1 tablespoon salad oil (weirder and weirder), and dash dried oregano, crushed; spread on crust. Top with 3 frankfurters, cut in 1/2 inch slices, and 1/4 cup ripe olives, sliced; sprinkle with 1/2 cup shredded sharp process American cheese. Bake at 450 for 12 - 15 minutes. Serves 2.

There is a lot to wonder about here. Why only 3 frankfurters? That's a lot of work, when you could just get pre-sliced pepperoni and pizza sauce, cheese and a Boboli shell. Perfect SuperBowl accompaniment.

I noticed another antique store went out of business around here. While I am never able to spend much in them, I hate to see this. What happens to what used to be folks' treasured belongings? My husband would say I'm doing my part to preserve every one's old cookbooks. I wish.

1 comment:

Home Deconomics said...

Damn the black and white picture! I curse all cookbook publishers who use black and white photos!

That being said, I bet you could still get a room full of superbowl fans to eat that. Just sneak it in next to the hot wings and bean dip.