Sunday, March 01, 2009

Guestworthy



The caption for this photo also from Company Meals and Buffets (and yes, I'm still having trouble scanning the two page spreads...) indicates that there are glazed ham rounds here. What isn't listed is the dead leaves cascading across the avocado wall and the salad in the unhygienic rattan basket. I don't even know what is in the weird pots.

One of the menus suggested in here is called "Guestworthy." "If the man-of-the-house is having the boys over for a poker session some snowy Saturday night try serving this. Delmarva Chicken Special as the main course."

Amy's version: Try giving him a coupon for the local pizza restaurant and suggest he have it delivered. Then go out somewhere fun yourself.

The Ethnic food fest went very well at the library. Many delicious foods were donated from area restaurants. This was not one of those foods, but it is still from the Company Meals and Buffets...

Chinese Chicken

2 tablesp. butter

1 sliced, seeded green pepper

2 cups cooked chicken, in large pieces (??)

1 can condensed cream-of-chicken soup, undiluted

1 No. 2 can pineapple chunks, drained (again the mysterious brand No. 2)

1/2 tsp. onion salt

Assemble all ingredients. At serving time: Melt butter in chafing-dish blazer. Add green pepper; saute until tender. Ad remaining ingredients. Cook till well heated. Serve on fluffy rice (as opposed to?) or canned crisp Chinese noodles.

Um, maybe it's just me, but how is this recipe Chinese? I don't think the noodles count.

My family recently purchased the Wii Animal Crossing game. This is truly addictive. Last night my older son, husband and I (baby was asleep or he would have joined in) danced to the 'tunes' from the Saturday night singer in the Museum. The game is on real time, and on Saturday nights at 8 p.m a dog comes into the Museum coffee shop and sort of sings. I'm sure my obsession with cookbooks is now making more sense to you, but really it's a fun game. I do have some concern about our conversations revolving around when the Turnip Lady is coming, but we could have worse hobbies. Then I went back to writing. I'm doing another librarian book with the fabulous Kim Patton, who is a fabulous friend and cook who just finished her MBA. She is one of those people who makes everything look easy, but I like her a lot anyway. Anyone have friends like these? I figure it's good for me to have folks who make me want to try harder around me.

No comments: