Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Quick 'n' Easy

This pamphlet cookbook is #4 in the
Good Housekeeping 1958 series: Quick 'n' Easy. I think their version of QnE is quite a bit different from today's version, though!
This is the back cover, a photo of "New-Fashioned Chicken Fricassee":
2 14 oz. cans chicken fricassee
1 8-oz. can small white onions, drained
3/4 cup drained, cooked or canned whole-kernel corn or mixed vegetables
1/4 tsp. curry powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 can refrigerated biscuits
parsley
In skillet, mix everything until bubbling hot. Then place biscuits on top (don't push them down into the gravy) (love that image) Cover tightly; simmer 25 min., or until biscuits are done (don't peek) (or what?). Top with parsley.
I've never seen a pan like this, or frankly, food like that. And I don't want to.
I've made a few dishes with the refrigerated biscuits thrown on top - they never cook. I think it's better to cook the biscuits then top them over the warm dish.
I finished Susan Elizabeth Phillip's latest. She is from the Chicago area, and her books are charming reads that aren't completely predictable. I'm in the middle of several deadlines and have a packed week going on, including being in a fashion show Saturday for an adoption fundraiser. The dress store conveyed the message that a team like Sandra Bullock had in Miss Congeniality would be needed. So I've been using spray tan for the first time in my life.
After the fashion show, I have a lock in with the teens at the library - only a few hours for us, but still a busy day. Which thing will be more fun? For my comfort level - the lock-in!

No comments: