Friday, February 27, 2009

Company Meals


Here is the 1958 Good Housekeeping #14 Company Meals and Buffets. Now, I'm no expert on food photography, but I don't think anything with big brown lumps should go on the cover. Maybe I've just changed too many diapers around here lately.
This book suggests menus for any occasion. I was intrigued by the 'Midwest Favorites'.
It starts with Old-Fashioned Ham Loaf. There is a singularly gross picture (yes, even worse than the cover) but it's too dark to scan.
2 eggs
1 cup fluid, liquefied nonfat dry, or diluted evaporated milk (Unless I don't understand some of these big words, couldn't you just use regular milk?)
2 cups fresh bread crumbs
2 tsp. salt (Whoa, Morton girl!)
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 lb. ground chuck
1 lb. ground shoulder pork
1/2 lb. ground smoked ham (Grinding these three up should take no more than a day, right?)
1 no. 2 can tomatoes
Early in day: In bowl, beat eggs; stir in milk, crumbs, salt and pepper; let stand until crumbs are soft. Mix in rest of ingredients. Pack into greased (like there's not enough in the meat) 10" x5" x 3" loaf pan. Refrigerate.
About 1 3/4 hours before serving: Start heating oven to 350 F. Bake loaf 1 1/4 hrs., pour off liquid around loaf (oh boy); bake 15 min. longer. Turn meat loaf onto platter.
The picture looks like Spam. In fact, this is likely Spam. Might as well save yourself a lot of trouble.
Wow. I'll spare you all the "Company Cheese Pie" that's supposed to go with it.
I'm reading The School of Essential Ingredients about a chef who gives cooking lessons. Quite good. No prunes.

4 comments:

Home Deconomics said...

Wow, ya, thats quite a cover. And to think the best photo goes on the front. Makes you nervous about what's inside!

I just bought the cake one. While the frosting looks 3 inches deep I'd rather eat that than the lumpy logs!

Amy said...

I love the cakes one! Yes, 3 inches of frosting beats the "Company Meats" any day!

I actually think cakes cookbooks and holiday cookbooks are my favorites within the vintage or even modern sets.

Joe said...

Hmm...SPAM is essentially just repurposed ham product? I'm a big fan of meat loaf, but ham loaf is just not right.

Amy said...

Yes, you are right, there's a lot not right with this recipe. Clearly NOT a Midwestern favorite. Why not just make a ham sandwich and forget the grinding of 3 pounds of meat?