Thursday, February 26, 2009

Treasure Troves


I won a box of books from Joanna Campbell Slan as part of a raffle for folks who signed up to follow her on Twitter. I never imagined I'd receive 17 pounds on my doorstop of wonderful books! I immediately started sorting into "soon to read", "next after that", "get to when those are done pile" - hey where did that chocolate come from? That should have been on the soon pile... In the box photo are ones I didn't get to start sorting yet. Amazing, eh? Joanna was thinking of a green promotion.
My husband was excited by this also, but suggested I get rid of some books before moving these up to the already packed bedroom. This is always a good idea, and I hope he won't miss his Civil War titles.

Folks continue to write me about the party loaves. I'm amazed, and I have to try making this one. I went back to my very first cookbook, the one that started the vintage obsession, Square Meals by the Sterns. I've purchased this (online used is the only way) for my mother in law and others as it is so much fun to read. Under the "Ladies' Lunch" chapter, I found "Pink Frosted Surprise Loaf". Here is what the Sterns say about this:
"Sandwich loaves, once a great favorite of clever hostesses, belong to the trompe l'oeil school of gastronomy: a club sandwich with delusions of grandeur, impersonating a layer cake."
The only difference here in the recipe is the first step:
"Whip together 3 8 oz. packages of cream cheese, milk, and food coloring until it forms a pretty pink frosting."
Now, I don't see how anyone can whip together 3 8 oz. packages of cream cheese with anything else, and frankly, I could whip from now until Christmas and it wouldn't be a pretty anything. Did they make green ones for St. Pat's Day, too? It boggles the mind.



No comments: