Thursday, July 30, 2009

Back with a Great Vintage Cookbook

Hello! While I don't have a scanner still, I NOW HAVE INTERNET BACK! (Literally - the dude just left.) Yes. No Internet. No TV. No Phone. 10 days. Pioneersville.

But - during the dry spell, a coworker gave me a 1943 pamphlet cookbook "What you can do with one pound of hamburger." This one has so many crazy recipes my other coworkers asked me to stop reading from it. I'll be blogging for a few days on this, but I have a great guest blogger coming Saturday, too!

Also in my summer of drama, I had another asthma attack. Why on earth would that happen amongst 9 teen programs in the last week (including the fabulous swordfighting from the Chicago Swordplay Guild - EXCELLENT people and program), dust-drilling-workmen in the new home, not being able to find my shoes (author friend James Kennedy said that is my next mystery plot...), sewer issues, crazy soccer signups, new school paperwork, lining up more cookbook talks and more? So I'm on a battery of new fun inhalants and drugs that make me crave chocolate and stay up until 1. (The chocolate thing may actually just be me.) (Yes, I love parenthesis.) Which is ok as I have a Crimespree article due this weekend, so I'm reading a teen mystery a day. Now you are updated. This summer will supply me with writing plots for years to come.

You know you've missed the crazy, the scary, the vintage recipes. This one defies belief. MmmmMmmm!

Meatball Pancakes
1 pound hamburger
1 tsp. salt (oh boy)
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 tablespoon grated onion
6 eggs, separated (you know this will be good)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
3 tablespoons melted butter or fat (or fat? Um, ok. What would that be? Pork fat?)

Combine meat, salt, pepper and grated onion. Beat egg yolks, add baking powder, lemon juice and parsley. Blend with meat mixture. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Drop by spoonfuls into hot butter. When brown around edges, turn and brown other side.

Serving suggestions: (Amy's = Don't even serve these.) Serve while crispy and hot. Crispy, seriously? What, no syrup?

I've been reading so many good teen mysteries. Lisa McMann's Fade would have kept me up even if the steroids didn't. Really really good paranormal mystery.

2 comments:

Home Deconomics said...

I feel your no-scanner pain. Mine died a while back and I still haven't recovered. *sniff*

So this recipe is basically... big flat meatballs? Or did they feel they just needed something bigger and greasier than a traditional burger patty?

bibliochef said...

I confess, I love a vintage cookbook once in a while, though I almost never cook from them. Too retro for me (BTW< you should check out Laura Rebecca's Kitchen and ask her about her retro recipe contests that she used to do (and may still do). A real hooy