Saturday, March 27, 2010

Easter Brunch

Look at that fabulous meat and sauces! What on earth is that green one?  Here's the Easter Brunch menu from the 1959 Foodarama Party Book:
Orange Juice


Eggs Marguerite

Baked Ham Slice with Pear Garnish

Panettone

Jams, Marmalades, preserves

Panettone was always a favorite of Grandma Alessio's for Christmas - but Easter? Why not?

Eggs Marguerite was a new one for me:
Set oven for 350F.  Separate 9 eggs, taking care to keep the yolks unbroken.  (Drop yolks each into separate custard cups.)  Add 1/2 tsp. salt to egg whites and whip until stiff but not dry. Turn into a baking dish.  With a tsp., make 9 hollows in the top of the whites; drop an egg yolk in each.  Bake 10 minutes or until yolks are set and whites are delicately browned.

Hmm... I don't know about that one.

I'm back from beautiful Portland, where Nick Buron and I enjoyed our 350 person crowd Thursday morning for our Teen Top Trends talk at PLA. I also hit some yarn shops and Powell's with my good friend Carol Fitzgerald from http://www.bookreporter.com/ and many other review sites. I already finished 2 knit hats from that trip (long flight home)... I enjoyed my flight out more as I was sitting with Stephanie Zvirin.

I'm buzzing with book ideas, steroids, and more. Many folks talked to me about the cookbooks there too. I bought a great one at Powell's on Moon Pies for my talk this Thursday on Southern Vintage Treats.

2 comments:

Molly MacRae said...

The green one is probably mint jelly to go with leg of lamb.

Molly said...

Except, they didn't mention leg of lamb, did they? Oh well. My mom often did a leg of lamb with mint jelly for Easter, though.