Thursday, April 28, 2011

Dixie Dandy Bake

I'm back to blogging from the Better Homes and Gardens 1963 Meals in Minutes. Apparently, Dixie Dandy Bake is on the cover, but I'm not sure which it is. I know it's not those yummy looking parfaits, though!
Perhaps it is the dish on the lower left...
Dixie Dandy Bake
1 1-pound can applesauce
1/4 tsp. ginger
2 12-oz. cans luncheon meat (uhoh)
1 8-oz. can pineapple slices
1 1-pound 2-oz. can sweet potatoes

1/2 cup apricot jam
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tablespoon water
Combine applesauce and ginger; spread in 10x6x1 1/2-inch baking dish.  Slice each loaf of luncheon meat 3 times on the diagonal, cutting only 3/4 of the way through.
Halve pineapple slices; insert in cuts in meat.  Place meat atop applesauce; arrange sweet potatoes around meat.  Combine remaining ingredients.  Spread over meat, pineapple, and potatoes.  Bake at 400F for 35 - 40 minutes.  Makes 6 servings.

These flavors might be ok, but it's hard to believe that ANY luncheon meat would do...

I learned I am not actually having asthma issues this week - but the return of costochronditis. I had this in January, though milder then. It's a painful joint inflammation all the way around my rib cage. I'm pretty wiped out, but am feeling more like myself now that the steroids and things have been stepped down. There isn't much to do for this one other than rest. The doctor said I need to get rid of all stress. I actually laughed, but am going to do my best to stay calm. All the time. Right.

2 comments:

RW Bennett said...

Hi Amy,

Cool blog. I probably have a dozen old Better Homes & Gardens issues from the late 50s, early 60s. They're really fun, aren't they? I don't think I will try the recipe, though. Bologne caserole. Yech! Also, the dog on my shoulder in my picture is named "Dandy". So, no Dixie Dandy Bake for me.

I'm sorry your ribcage is sore. Hurts to laugh, I'm sure. Therefore, I toned down my usual level of funnyness. Oops, another funny, sorry.

blackberry said...

Please get well soon, and you know, I believe I may try this.